Monday, December 6, 2010

Between, Georgia - Joshilyn Jackson

Between, Georgia
By: Joshilyn Jackson
Published: 2006
Audiobook Read by: Joshilyn Jackson
My rating: Great







Ok, unwittingly I have added another title to my "Chick-lit" adventures! I was looking for something a little different and pulled this one off the shelf not knowing that it was my feminine side that was doing the choosing! I had a few moments of panic as the opening chapter got under way and I realized what I had done, but it wasn't long before I was thoroughly wrapped up in the story and not caring what it was doing to me! :)

Nonny Frett is born into a classic family feud that has been going on for as long as anyone can remember. Her birth and the circumstances that surrounded it were like jet fuel on the fire that continued to burn until Nonny was a woman of 30. Knowing that she was part of the reason for the feuding she tries to make peace more than once, but when things get out of control there is nothing she can do to stop the terrible events that will take both families to the brink of destruction. It seems that nothing good can come from the war that ensues, but when the smoke clears, they all discover that miracles really do happen!

The book opens, with graphic detail, on the birth of Nonny. I know how it all works having assisted in the births of my own children but it was a bit of a shock to have the story start out this way. I was pretty worried that this was going to be one of those books I would struggle to finish but after the initial discomfort, the plot began to take shape and I was hooked! It really is a heart warming story of love after you dig through the crust of hate and enmity. Nonny's deaf and blind mother is an inspiration and her wisdom helps Nonny to keep her head on more than one occasion. Despite it's rocky start, I am very glad that my "feminine side" picked this one out, it really is a great story!

I listened to the audiobook read by Joshilyn Jackson herself. For the most part I have not found authors to be the best readers but I was very impressed by Joshilyn's narration. She did a wonderful array of voices and the expression and emotion she poured into the story were wonderful! In my research, I discovered that she has acting experience and that was very evident in her performance.

Overall this was a touching story and I was moved to tears a couple times. The crazy feud between the two families highlighted the senselessness of anger and retaliation. There is a strong lesson to be learned from this book about the damage a feud can bring on innocent people. If you get the chance to read this book, don't hesitate to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment