Thursday, March 24, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder - Joanne Fluke

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder
By: Joanne Fluke
Published: 2000
Audiobook Read by: Suzanne Toren
My rating: Delightful









After listening to Peach Cobbler Murder I decided to go back to the beginning and listen to this first book of the series. It is definitely a yummy start to these tasty mysteries!

Hannah Swensen is just a simple bakery owner, not a private eye! So how on earth did she end up smack dab in the middle of a murder investigation? Her brother-in-law, hopefully the newest Lake Eden sheriff detective, needs her help, that's how! There are just some things that a bag full of cookies can accomplish that all the police training in the world can't! Hannah jumps in head first never thinking about how it all might end up. Her main thought is for Bill and the fact that a solved murder investigation to his credit will go a long way to that promotion he wants so badly! Would she do it over again if she knew what kind of trouble she'd end up in?

This was a fun story but I kept feeling a little disappointed that Hannah is the one finding all the clues and solving the mystery when Bill is the one who is a trained sheriff deputy hoping to be promoted. He comes off looking a bit like Barney Fife instead of a qualified contender for a detective badge. Regardless of that flaw the rest of the book was great. I loved the quirky characters and the small town they live in. I especially liked the good-natured hostility between Hannah and her mother who is constantly badgering her to do things she doesn't want to do! As far as the mystery goes, there really wasn't much of a chance to try to figure out the solution ahead of time so I was just along for the ride. I didn't mind that too much since it wasn't really as much about the investigation as it was about Hannah's role in it.

I listened to the audiobook read by Suzanne Toren and was very pleased with her performance. As before, she expertly brought the characters to life for me.

Overall, this is a book that you should read, not for the mystery, but for the fun of the ride. If you're wanting a mind bending riddle to solve this won't satisfy you but if you just want to enjoy some fun, you'll be in good hands!

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes I like just a laid back book,at least it's different for a change.Blessings jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it's like letting your mind take a little vacation and have some fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read mysteries about cats, fine dining, tea, bakeries, antiques, ancestor searching and others. It seems every mystery has to have some other connection. I do think that this book sounds like fun, though. I love Barney Fife.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Barney too, Nancy! Andy Griffith was my grandpa's favorite show! He used to call me Ange quite often like Barney always referred to Andy.

    ReplyDelete